Recently I have been making sure I stick to my goals by jumping on the green smoothie bandwagon. So I thought I would share a few tips with you on how to make the perfect green smoothie that will keep you energised and feeling more vibrant along with maintaining a healthier student lifestyle!
What do I put in to a green smoothie?
This is always the first question! You want to make sure you are getting that pure green colour as well as making sure it’s yummy to taste. The simple recipe is: leafy greens + fruit + a liquid base…and maybe some fancy superfood toppings if you are feeling a bit more adventurous. I promise you that this is not a fad diet to try, once you start drinking green smoothies, you will be just as hooked as I am! And to be honest, what other way are you going to down spinach in a more delightful fashion?!
If you think about it, getting all the high-quality leafy greens into your smoothie will give you: amino acids, important vitamins and minerals and antioxidants which benefit your body in so many ways. These few benefits can help strengthen your body’s immune system and can reduce the risk of life-threatening diseases, leading to a happier and healthier lifestyle!
Now that’s the scientific gobble out the way, these are the reasons why I think students need green smoothies:
- Natural energy booster – gives you a little pep in your step and keeps you going for longer. Meaning those late nights and early lecture wake up calls can be cured with a mid morning green smoothie rather than a high calorie chocolate bar or a high in sugar energy drink.
- Natural weight loss – we have all been there. Going to university and getting your cooking skills and eating habits under wraps is hard to maintain. But gulping one of these for breakfast instead of reaching for a packet of crisps for those on-the-go mornings can leave you feeling fuller for longer. Prepare the night before, keep in the fridge for a cool drink and you are good to go for those 9AMs!
- Stay healthy all-year-long – as I mentioned above, green smoothies boost your immune system and are great for when you need a pick-me-up after catching that dreaded fresher’s flu.
- Packed with disease-fighting antioxidants – the phytonutrients in leafy greens keep your body functioning properly. So, when studying for exams or writing those long essays, your brain will have the power to go for longer. Plus! It makes your insides feel a lot happier for their functioning needs.
- Hands down the best fast food – it takes less than 5 minutes to make a green smoothie (and 10 to clean up!). They are super easy to make and when you’re leading a busy lifestyle you don’t want to spend hours prepping something. In fact, it would probably take you longer to queue in a student canteen at lunch time to buy a chocolate bar or an energy drink than what it would take to make a green smoothie.
So there we have it, the basic facts for why green smoothies are good for us students! What will you put in yours? Comment below with your best recipes so that other students can have a go at making your famous recipe. Got a secret ingredient to make a green smoothie that extra tasty? Share below! I personally love two handfuls of spinach, a cup of almond milk, 1 avocado, and 1 apple, a handful of strawberries and to top it off, half a mango! Smoothie your way to goodness!